The National Museum of Art of Romania
Mural painting - Lady Roxanda
Artwork description
Fragment from the Princely Church in Curtea de Argeș
Mural ‘a fresco’ painting
212 x 81 cm
Dobromir master painter
Walachia
before 1526
Inv. 14 307 / F 6
Artwork location
Romanian Medieval Art Gallery, room 2
Sign language video
Sign language video

Lady Roxanda, daughter of Neagoe Basarab, Voïevod of Walachia (1512-1521), was depicted at Curtea de Argeş standing opposite her husband, Voïevod Radu of Afumaţi (1521-1529) (the latter is missing). The painting conveyed to contemporaries as much as to posterity, an image of the founders of the church as genuine followers of Byzantine tradition and active supporters of the Church.

Lady Roxanda features standing, dressed in courtly Byzantine attire. She wears a golden crown richly studded with rubies, sapphires and pearls. Her costume, posture and gesture illustrate the aspirations, life-style and the taste of those Romanian Principalities at a time they actively supported the Eastern Orthodox Curch all around the Balkans.

At the end of the 19th century the Princely Church in Curtea de Argeş was restored and repainted making it necessary to dismantle the best preserved and most important mural paintings still in place. Most of these are now with the National Museum of Art of Romania.

 

See more works in the Romanian Medieval Art Gallery