About the museum
The Palace and the Museum: A Historical Overview
1837 - Wallachian Prince Alexandru Ghica moves his official residence to the large mansion built between 1812 and 1820 by boyar Dinicu Golescu on the site of the present-day south wing of the Museum.
1859 - 1866 - Following the Union of the Romanian Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia, Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza uses the house as a ceremonial palace and a residence.
The Conservation Department
A generalist conservation studio was established together with the Museum to care for all its collections. In time specialist studios emerged and developed while responsibilities became more complex, including on-site practical training to complement (post-) graduate conservation/restoration courses. In the 1970s and 1980s the Conservation Department acted as a resource and a practical learning centre, training, mapping, and sometimes covering the conservation needs of various museums in the country which had no local facilities and specialist conservators. New generations of young, mostly art graduates,were trained and continued to practice here and in other museums around the country.